Pentax Optio W80
Released June, 2009
The Pros:Ruggedized design - capable of being dropped 3.3 feet, being used in -10C weather and waterproof up to 5 meters. Shoots video in 720p high definition. Face, smile and blink detection.
The Cons:Unimpressive grainy photo quality. Battery runs down quickly. Image stabilization doesn't work.
The Pentax Optio W80 is a compact digital camera offered by Pentax for the adventurer looking for a durable camera. This camera is shockproof from drops up to 3.3 feet, coldproof up to -10° Celsius (14° Fahrenheit) and waterproof up to 5 meters with the abuility to take underwater photos and video.
Loading latest prices from ProductWiki...
It features a 12.1 megapixel CCD for detailed images and a 5x internal wide angle optical zoom lens. It is capable of capturing HD video with up to 1280x720 resolution and has a large 2.5" LCD screen with anti-reflective coating perfect for picture and video composition and playback even in bright sunlight. For quick and easy portraits there are features such as fast face detection, capable of almost instantly recognizing up to 32 faces, smile capture which automatically takes a picture when your subject smiles, and blink detection which alerts you if your subject blinked during exposure. Other features include Pentax Shake Reduction (SR) for blur-free photos and super macro mode letting you get within 1 cm of your subject. The Pentax Optio W80 is available in Gunmetal Gray, Azure Blue and Cardinal Red.
- Type: Compact Digital Waterproof Camera
- Colors Available: Gunmetal Gray, Azure Blue, Cardinal Red
- Type: 1/2.3” interline transfer CCD w/ primary color filter; Effective pixels: 12.1 MP; Total pixels: 12.39 MP Recorded resolutions Still: 12M (4:3 4000x3000, 3:2 4000x2672, 16:9 4000x2256), 7M (3072x2304), 5M (2592x1944), 3M (2048x1536), 1024 (1024x768), VGA (640x480) Movie: 720p15/30 (1280x720), VGA15/30 (640x480), QVGA15/30 (320x240) Quality levels: (best), (better), (good)
- Type/construction: PENTAX zoom lens, 11 elements, 9 groups (5 aspherical elements); Optical zoom: 5X; Focal length (equiv.): 5-25mm (28-140mm); Digital zoom: 6.25X; Combined zoom: 31.3X; Intelligent zoom: Non-interpolated, approx 6.5X at 7M to 31.3X at VGA; Aperture: F3.5-5.5
- LCD screen: 2.5” TFT color LCD w/ anti-reflective coating and brightness adjustment; LCD resolution: 230,000 dots; Wide angle viewable: Yes, approx 170° horizontal/vertical; Viewfinder: n/a
- Focus System:
- Type: TTL 9 point contrast detection autofocus with AF assist lamp; Focus modes: 9 point multi AF, Spot AF, Auto Tracking AF, Macro, Super Macro, Infinity Landscape, Pan Focus, Manual Focus; Manual focus: Yes; Macro focus: Yes, macro and super macro available; Focus lock: Yes, by pressing the shutter release button half way; Focus range Normal: 1.64’ to infinity (over entire zoom range) Macro: 0.33-1.97’ (over entire zoom range) Super Macro: 0.03-0.98’ (1cm, at mid-zoom, set automatically)
- Type: Built-in series-control auto flash Flash modes: Auto, flash on, flash off, redeye, soft Effective range: 13' (wide, auto ISO), 8.2' (tele, auto ISO) Storage Media: Internal memory: 33.7 MB Removable memory: SD, SDHC
- Ports: USB 2.0 hi-speed, AV out Video out: NTSC, PAL Printer interfaces: N/A
- Power Supply:
- Power source: Rechargeable Li-Ion battery D-LI78; Recordable images: Approx 170; Playback time: Approx 180 min Movie recording time: Approx 65 min Audio recording time: Approx 230 min AC adapter available: YES (optional)
- Physical Specifications:
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 3.9 x 2.2 x 1.0” Weight Without battery or removable memory: 4.8 oz Loaded and ready: 5.3 oz Construction material(s): Reinforced polycarbonate plastic with aluminum plating; Operating temperature: 14-104°F; Weather Resistant: Yes, JIS Class 8 waterproof submersible to 16’, JIS Class 6 dustproof Shock Resistant: Yes, shockproof to 3.3’
- Startup: Approx 1.0 sec; Release lag: Approx 0.03 sec
- Language Support: English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Dutch, Japanese, Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Turkish, Greek, Russian, Thai, Korean, Simplified/Traditional Chinese
- Image Stabilization:
- Still: Pixel Track SR, Digital SR (5M) Movie: Movie SR
- ISO Sensitivity:
- Auto: 64-1600, auto range adjustable, 64-6400 in Digital SR mode (5M); Manual: 64-6400, iso 3200-6400 fixed at 5M
- White Balance: Auto preset modes: Auto, Daylight, Shade, Tungsten, Fluorescent; Manual mode(s): Yes
- Type: Programmed AE electronic lens shutter with CCD electronic shutter; Shutter speed: 1/1500 to 1/4 sec (up to 4 sec in Night Scene mode)
- Capture Modes:
- Mode selection: Auto Picture (Standard, Landscape, Portrait, Night Scene Portrait, Night Scene, Sport, Flower, Candlelight), Program, Night Scene, Movie, Underwater, Underwater Movie, Landscape, Flower, Portrait, Digital Wide, Surf & Snow, Digital SR, Kids, Pet, Half Length Portrait, Sport, Fireworks, Candlelight, Night Scene Portrait, Text, Food, Digital Panorama, Frame Composite, Report, Green; Green simplified mode available: Yes; Face detection available: Yes, AF and AE up to 32 faces in 0.03 sec, Smile Capture, Blink Detection; P/A/S/M/B: P; Date stamp: Yes, date, date-time, time (not available in Green mode); Digital filters (capture): Image tone (Bright, Natural, Monochrome); Dynamic Range Adjustment: Yes, highlight and shadow correction
- Drive Modes:
- Mode selection: One Shot, Self Timer (10s, 2s), Continuous, High Speed Continuous, Interval, Auto Bracket; Continuous FPS: Approx 1.27 FPS, High Speed Continuous 2.9 FPS for up to 8 frames (5M), 5.9 FPS for 8 frames at ISO 3200/6400 (5M); Self-timer: Yes (10s, 2s) Remote control: n/a
- Playback Modes:
- Mode selection: One Shot, Index (4 or 9 thumbnails), Magnification, Movie Playback, Sound Playback, Histogram, Bright/Dark Indication, Folder Display, Select & Delete, Calendar; Mode pallet: Slideshow, Digital Filter, Frame Composite, Resize, Cropping, Image/Sound Copy, Image Rotation, Movie Edit, Redeye Edit, Voice Memo, Protect, DPOF, Image Recovery, Startup Screen, Face Zooming; Magnification: Up to 10X, scrollable; Digital filters (playback): B&W, Sepia, Color Filters (6), Color Extract (3), Color Enhancer (4), Toy Camera, Retro, Soft, Fisheye, Brightness; Movie edit: Save as still image, movie divide
- File Formats:
- Still: JPG (EXIF 2.2), DCF 2.0 (design rule for camera file system), DPOF, PIM III Movie (compression): AVI (Motion JPG) with sound Sound: WAV (PCM), monaural
- Computer System Requirements:
- For device connectivity. Bundled software requirements may vary. Windows: Windows 2000/XP/Vista, USB port Mac: MacOS-X 10.1.2 to 10.5, USB port
User Reviews (2)
ruggedized design - capable of being dropped 3.3 feet, being used in -10C weather and waterproof up to 5 meters
shoots video in 720p high definition
face, smile and blink detection
unimpressive grainy photo quality
battery runs down quickly
image stabilization doesn't work
not as good as older generation products from the same line
You may also like...