Pentax Optio P80
Released August, 2009
The Pros:Records video in 720p (at a full 30fps compared to the poor 15fps mode on the P70). Improved face detection over the P70. Extremely slim and lightweight (21.5mm thin, 120g).
The Cons:Almost identical to the P70. Cheap looking high gloss, plastic body. No optical image stabilization.
The Pentax Optio P80 is a stylish and compact digital camera offered by Pentax with several advanced features. It features a 12.1 megapixel CCD for detailed images and a 4x optical wide angle lens. It is capable of capturing HD video with up to 720p resolution and has a large 2.7" LCD screen perfect for picture and video composition and playback.
Loading latest prices from ProductWiki...
For quick and easy portraits there are features such as fast face detection, capable of almost instantly recognizing up to 32 faces, smile capture which automatically takes a picture when your subject smiles, and blink detection which alerts you if your subject blinked during exposure. Other features include Pentax Shake Reduction (SR) for blur-free photos and Pentax Auto Picture mode which automatically chooses from 8 shooting modes for great images in any situation. The Pentax Optio P80 is available in black, pearl and mint.
- Type: Ultra Compact Digital Camera
- Colors Available: Black, Pearl and Mint
- Type: 1/2.3" interline transfer CCD w primary color filter; Effective pixels: 12.1; Total pixels: 12.39; Recorded resolutions Still: 12M (4000x3000), 7M (3072x2304), 5M (2592x1944), 3M (2048x1536), 2.1M (16:9, 1920x1080), 1024 (1024x768), VGA (640x480) Movie: 1280x720p30/15, 640x480p30/15, 320x240p30/15; Quality levels: Fixed, 12M (H)Lens:Type/construction: PENTAX zoom lens, 7 elements, 6 groups (3 aspheric elements); Optical zoom: 4X; Focal length (equiv.): 4.9-19.6mm (27.5-110mm); Digital zoom: 6.3X; Combined zoom: 25X; Intelligent zoom: Approx 5.2X at 7M to 25X at VGA; Aperture: F2.6-5.8
- LCD screen: 2.7" TFT color LCD; LCD resolution: 230,000 dots; Wide angle viewable: n/a; Viewfinder: n/aFocus System:Type: TTL contrast detection autofocus; Focus modes: 9 point AF, Spot AF, Auto Tracking AF, Macro, Infinity Landscape, Pan Focus, Manual Focus; Manual focus: Yes; Macro focus: Yes; Focus lock: Yes, by pressing the shutter release button half way; Focus range Normal: 1.31’ to infinity (wide), 1.64’ to infinity (tele) Macro: 0.33-1.64’ (wide), 1.64-2.30’ (tele)
- Type: Built-in series-control auto flash; Flash modes: Auto, Flash Off, Flash On, Auto + Redeye, On + Redeye, Soft; Effective range: Approx 15’ (wide, auto ISO), 6.9’ (tele, auto ISO)Storage Media:Internal memory: Approx 33.6 MB; Removable memory: SD, SDHC
- Ports: USB 2.0 hi-speed, AV out; Video out: NTSC, PAL; Printer interfaces: n/aPower Supply:Power source: Rechargeable Li-Ion battery D-LI88; Recordable images: Approx 200; Playback time: Approx 200 min; Movie recording time: Approx 70 min; Audio recording time: Approx 250 min; AC adapter available: Yes (optional)
- Physical Specifications:
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 3.8 x 2.1 x 0.8" (0.6" thin at narrowest point); Weight Without battery or removable memory: 3.7 oz, Loaded and ready: 4.2 oz; Construction material(s): Aluminum; Operating temperature: 32-104°F
- Timing:Startup: Approx 1.9 sec; Release lag: Approx 0.033 sec
- Language Support: English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Dutch, Japanese, Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Turkish, Greek, Russian, Thai, Korean, Simplified/Traditional Chinese
- Image Stabilization:
- Still: Pixel Track SR, Digital SR (5M); Movie: Movie SR
- ISO Sensitivity: Auto: 64-800, Digital SR ISO 64-6400 (ISO 3200-6400, 5M); Manual: 64-6400 (ISO 3200-6400, 5M)
- White Balance:Auto preset modes: Auto, Daylight, Shade, Tungsten, Fluorescent; Manual mode(s): Yes
- Type: Programmed AE electronic lens shutter w CCD electronic shutter; Shutter speed: 1/1000 to 1/4 sec (up to 4 sec in Night Scene mode)Capture Modes:Mode selection: Auto Picture (Standard, Landscape, Portrait, Night Scene Portrait, Night Scene, Sport, Flower, Candlelight), Program, Night Scene, Night Scene Portrait, Half-Length Portrait (3M), Movie, Landscape, Flower, Portrait, Surf & Snow, Sport, Digital SR (5M), Kids, Pet, Food, Fireworks, Frame Composite (3M), Party, Natural Skin Tone, Candlelight, Text, Blog (VGA), Digital Wide (5M), Digital Panorama (2M per frame), Vertical Snap (12M, 5M, VGA), Green, Voice Recording; Green simplified mode available: Yes; Face detection available: Yes, up to 32 faces in 0.03s, Smile Capture, Blink Detection; P/A/S/M/B: P; Date stamp: Yes, date, date-time, time (not available in Green mode); Digital filters (capture): n/a; Dynamic Range Adjustment: Yes, highlight and shadow correction
- Drive Modes:
- Mode selection: One shot, Self Timer, Continuous, High Speed Continuous (5M); Continuous FPS: Approx 0.93 FPS for 3 frames, High Speed Continuous 3.2 FPS for up to 6 frames (5M), 5.8 FPS for 6 frames at ISO 3200-6400 (5M); Self-timer: Yes (10s, 2s); Remote control: n/aPlayback Modes:Mode selection: One Shot, Index (4 or 9 thumbnails), Magnification, Movie Playback, Sound Playback, Histogram, Bright/Dark Indication, Folder, Select & Delete, Calendar; Mode pallet: Small Face Filter, Slideshow, Resize, Cropping, Image & Sound Copy, Image Rotation, Digital Filter, Movie Edit, Frame Composite (3M), Redeye Edit, Voice Memo, Protect, DPOF, Favorites, Image Recovery, Startup Screen, Face Zooming; Magnification: Yes, up to 10X, scrollable; Digital filters (playback): B&W, Sepia, Color Filters (6), Color Extract (3), Soft, Brightness, Color Enhancer, Toy Camera, Retro; Movie edit: Save As Still Image, Movie Divide
- File Formats:
- Still: JPG (EXIF 2.2), DCF 2.0, DPOF, Print Image Matching III; Movie (compression): AVI (Motion JPG) w Sound; Sound: WAV (PCM), monaural
- Computer System Requirements:
- For device connectivity. Bundled software requirements may vary. Windows: Windows 2000/XP/Vista, USB port; Mac: MacOS-X 10.1.2-10.5, USB port
User Reviews (1)
records video in 720p (at a full 30fps compared to the poor 15fps mode on the P70)
improved face detection over the P70
extremely slim and lightweight (21.5mm thin, 120g)
fast on / off performance - good improvement over the P70
records to easy to find, affordable and capacious SD/SDHC flash cards
almost identical to the P70
cheap looking high gloss, plastic body
no optical image stabilization
just another point & shoot camera
just the next step in an overall downward trend for Pentax in terms of overall quality (build quality, technology, etc...)
You may also like...